Monday, April 28, 2008

Freelance Photography Seminar

Chris & I went to a photography seminar yesterday. It was a lot of fun but focused mostly on the "business" aspect of it. We don't really have plans to make a business out of this. My only ambition right now is to have a picture to submit to the county fair in October!

Although when he started talking about non-profits, I started thinking about the Komen for the Cure Foundation that I do a lot of work with. It's a huge breast cancer research organization. Anyway, when I was working the Komen booth at the rodeo on Friday night, the chair for the Survivor's Luncheon was working with me. She mentioned that they don't have any pictures from the luncheon the last few years because their picture person always bails. I offered up DH & myself to take the pictures this year. We were planning to volunteer anyway, so it doesn't bother me at all to take my camera along.

Ken has a deal worked out for all his photography students to get a free "store front" online webpage through one of the local photo places. You upload your pics, decide on a price, then they take care of the rest and cut you a check once a month. What if we handed out business cards with the website on them and let the guests possibly buy the pictures? Then donated the $$ to Komen? I also thought about someday approaching Komen about doing sessions for terminal breast cancer patients and their families, and maybe survivors too. Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud.

Chris has his own ideas about taking pictures at some of his autocross (car racing) events that don't have a photographer.

Next post: Tulare County Renaissance Faire!


1 comment:

justkc said...

What a nice way to make a difference. A good picture can mean so much to people.